Saturday, July 19, 2014

Bhekinkosi

Bhekinkosi (Chesnut gelding 2002), made an impression on us all, from the minute he walked out of his box, at the Sales complex at Gosforth Park. He was an imposing individual, consigned by Summerhill Stud, and from the first crop of the very exciting sire prospect, Kahal (GB). He was out of an exciting new mare too, called Amabokoboko, who was by Sunny North (USA). Trainer Gary Alexander has often said that he has one of the most athletic walks he has ever seen in a thoroughbred, using his hindquarter well, and stepping far underneath himself. Asides from his near perfect conformation, it was his walk and good temperament that made Gary buy the horse at the 2004 Breeze Up Sale (now called the Ready To Run Sale), for R65 000.

Bhekinkosi's sire, Kahal (GB).
(Photo by John Lewis, and courtesy of the Sires 2005 Handbook)
 
Sire of Bhekinkosi's dam, Amabokoboko, Sunny North (USA)
 
Amabokoboko (Photo by Leigh Willson, Summerhill Stud)
 
Although he was already under saddle when he arrived in the training yard, Gary decided to give him some time off before he went into full training. I worked with him personally, and spent many an hour playing with Bhekinkosi in the paddock. As with all the babies that we broke in, in the racing yard, we did a bit of Join Up work on the ground with him. We have found that it develops a trust bond between handler and horse, making things like learning to go into that starting stalls that much easier.

Nearly a year later, Bhekinkosi had taken after his sire, and had grown into a rather imposing specimen. Kahal is well known for producing horses with easy going temperaments, and this strapping young colt was no exception. He made his racing debut in September 2005, and made sure everyone knew who he was, winning a 1200m very easily. Gary's faith in the new stallion Kahal had been vindicated. And Bhekinkosi was certainly not finished with the Winner's Circle at that stage. In a rather distinguished career, spanning 6 seasons, he won 10 races and had 19 places in 55 starts. He amassed an earnings of R685 085, which when you consider his original purchase price of R65 000, was a superb return for his owners. Bhekinkosi ran in quite a number of feature races, with his best performance being his win in the 2200m Listed Java Handicap. He also had numerous placings in Black Type (Feature/ Graded/ Listed) Races:

*2006 3rd Jubilee Handicap (Gr3) 1800m
*2009 3rd Wolf Power Handicap (listed) 1600m
*2009 3rd Jubilee Handicap (Gr3) 1800m
*2006 4th Colorado King Stakes (Gr2) 2000m

Bhekinkosi impressed his trainer Gary Alexander so much, that he decided to buy his full brother Emir, also bred by Summerhill Stud, at the 2005 newly renamed, Ready To Run Sale, for R90 000. Emir had Bhekinkosi's size, athleticism and generous nature. He too raced for a few years, 7 seasons in total, for 7 wins, 21 places, and R587 000 in stakes.

 Bekhinkosi retired sound as an 8 year old, and there were definitely a few tears when he left the yard. His groom, Walter Mashinini, still works at the Alexander racing yard, and is always delighted to see the photos of Bhekinkosi's exploits in his new life, as a much loved and doted upon, show jumper, owned by Garett Murphy.

Bhekinkosi in the old Parade Ring at Turffontein Racecourse. His groom, Walter Mashinini is leading him, and MJ Odendaal is in the irons.
 
Bhekinkosi winning the 2200m Listed Java Handicap at Turffontein Racecourse, in 2006.
 
Bhekinkosi's story does not end there. He is thriving in his new career, where he has been retrained by Garett Murphy as a show jumper. He has taken to it, by all accounts, like the proverbial duck to water. This is Garett's account of Bhekinkosi's story, after his retirement from racing:
 
"In June 2011, my wife was having riding lessons with Kim Jeffery in Mnandi and as per usual I went along to watch. At this point I didn’t have a horse to ride myself as my old mare had been happily retired for about a year. I noticed Bhek grazing in a paddock and was immediately drawn to him. I knew right then and there that I was going to buy him.
I spoke to Kim about Bhek and for a few months I had lessons and shows on one of her other horses who was a more experienced jumper.
I did the sums in the meantime and had a few frank discussions with Kim about what my budget would be able to cover – this was when I started seriously making picture frames J.
I progressed quickly enough and as is often the case with schoolmasters, one eventually outgrows them. I felt ready for a lesson with Bhek. Needless to say I wasn’t as ready as I thought I was. From the first ride it was readily apparent that Bhek had a huge jump on him but more importantly has a heart of gold. He looked after me then and is still doing so 3 years later.
After the first lesson I was not sure that I would be able to handle such a powerful horse but Kim was happy to let me ride Bhek a few more times and as we got used to each other, we clicked more each time. I took the plunge and bought him and set about learning how to handle a young, strong horse.
My first love is racing rather than show-jumping so I tend to compete infrequently. Even so, Bhek unfailingly gives his all every time I ride him and never fails to look after me. On more than one occasion he has spared me the embarrassment of falling but when it does happen he tends to take it worse than I do. That said, his willingness to work is easily his biggest strength and this has enabled me to progress quicker than I would have with a different horse. He does have a mind of his own though, and is happy to tell me when he’s had enough or when something is difficult but will always do what I ask him. And with time and lessons I am learning to ask the correct questions!! I have no doubt whatsoever that any progress I have made as a rider is due to his willingness and heart.
His level-headed approach to life was succinctly illustrated when, at his previous yard, a horse threw his rider and bolted off down the dirt road next to the arena. Having left the rider to the care of other people in the arena, Bhek quickly caught up to the runaway and calmly stood next to him while a groom came running up with a halter.
I do like to keep Bhek fit so he does work quite hard but he enjoys his life and never more so than when we go for outrides down to the big trotting track. I don’t think he’ll ever forget that he’s a race-horse and I wouldn’t want him to – sometimes I think we’re both just little boys at heart and like nothing more than to run as fast as we possibly can purely for the sake of running. As much as he has enormous jumping potential, I have a not-so-secret suspicion that we are both at our happiest when the wind is rushing past our ears. At times like this it really does feel like we are beating with one heart and we are experiencing the same feelings and emotions. When words are not necessary – oh that everybody could be this privileged…..
The only issue I have ever had with Bhek was one minor episode of colic which was due to a change in environment and routine when I moved my horses closer to home. He recovered very quickly though – was back from the clinic the next morning - and hasn’t looked back since. He is on the whole, a very sound horse which is due partly to his breeding and partly to the approach taken by Gary Alexander Racing Stables of not rushing youngsters."
 
 
 
Lots of love and mutual respect here!
 
 
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment