Saturday, July 26, 2014

Mokaro

Mokaro was an exceptional racehorse. By Manaloj, out of a Fort Wood mare called Matumi, Mokaro was born at Mrs Oppenheimer's Mauritzfontein Stud in 2003. Over 4 seasons, he won 7 races, had 14 places, and amassed over R1.4 million in stake money, in just 33 starts. His biggest win was in the  2009 Grade 1 Canon Gold Cup 3200m at Greyville, in Durban. He also was victorious in the Grade 2 J&B Reserve Stayers, on J&B Met Day, in 2009, at Kenilworth in Cape Town. He raced in the famous black and yellow Oppenheimer silks, and was trained by Stephen Page, who is based in Cape Town.

He is now owned and ridden by Carey-Anne Radford, a prominent racing personality on the KZN racing circuit, who has taken him to the top level of Eventing, where he has excelled immensely.

Here is his story in her own words:

"I was given Mokaro through my aunt (my mother's sister), Gail Page, who works at Mauritzfontein with her husband Nigel Page. Gail had asked Mrs Oppenheimer if she would be happy if Mokaro was given a new home with me. He had been retired to the farm after racing, and had been there a year and a half relaxing. It seemed a waste of a nice horse, as he loved working and attention from people. Mrs O agreed on the grounds that if Gail was happy it was in Mokaro’s best interests to be with me where he could be kept active and he was never sold elsewhere she was happy for us to give it a try.
 
Mokaro as a racehorse: He was trained throughout his career by Stephen Page (Nigel’s brother). For Stephen he won 7 races (3 of them graded) and ran 14 places (7 of them graded) from 33 runs. His major success’s being the Gold Cup and the J&B Reserve stayers handicap which he won by 6.75L. He was also Equus champion stayer for the 2008/9 season. Mrs Oppenheimer and Stephen Page had a 1-2 in the Gold cup that year with Mokaro first and Noblewood second. Stephen says that Mokaro, like most stayers, did not show much in the early days as a racehorse but his talent showed when he was put over ground. He also described Mokaro as “portly” and he took a lot of work to keep him in shape and fit. Luckily Mokaro thrives on work and it brought out the best in him.  Mrs O had always kept a keen interest in Mokaro’s eventing success with me until she sadly passed away at the age of 92 last year. When I got Mokaro he had just turned 8, It was December 2011. His jumping talent was evident from the start as he has an incredible bascule over a jump and I was very excited about him.
 
My Riding Career: I have been able to ride since I was 5, I competed on ponies and then a Thoroughbred mare as a junior to D grade. I stopped show jumping when I was about 17, and started working in racing where I worked for Colin Lee and then Alistair Gordon and so I rode track work every morning. I took up show jumping again when I was 27 and was mildly competitive in lower grades until I was given Mokaro. I have always wanted to event, and so as Mokaro’s schooling came along, I started started Cross Country clinics with him. He took to it like a natural and loved it. From then till now, he has competed successfully right through the grades and we have completed two 2* events, both of them clear in the country and show jumping. He is also graded 1.20m in show jumping.
 
He is a clever, careful and brave horse and he has taken me to do things I would never have dreamt I was capable of doing. In the country he travels exceptionally well between his fences and trusts me to jump what I ask him to, I can honesty say there is no greater feeling than riding a horse like him. Behind every good athlete is a good coach and I must thank Heidi Caine for her inspiration and guidance with Mokaro from the start. (Heidi Caine represented South Africa in Eventing at the 2010 World Equestrian Games in Kentucky).
 
Our plans for the future: I would love to compete 3* one day and I know he has what it takes, so for now I need to keep him enjoying it, confident and brave. We will keep at the 2*’s until I know I am confident enough to be  100% accurate as a rider at that level.
 
Mokaro stands about 16 and a half hands and has always been a tubby looking horse. He is sound, well put together with good comformation. His sire Manaloj was not a very successful racehorse stallion, and now stands at Callaho Warmblood Stud. On the weekends, when he isn't being a serious competition horse, he is patiently giving rides to my two small nieces in the stable yard. He is an absolute pleasure to work with in every way. He is very special to my whole family for the success he brought to the Page’s as a racehorse and the good times we have with him as a family now. He is my absolute champion."
 
Mokaro's success as both a racehorse and in his new career as a "ReTrained" OTTB Event horse, shows exactly how athletic and versatile the Thoroughbred racehorse really is! We will keep you posted on Mokaro and Carey's progress as they progress further through the grades.
 
2009 Grade 1 Canon Gold Cup 3200m Greyville
(photos courtesy of Gold Circle)
 
Cantering to the start
 
 
A victory salute from jockey Richard Fourie 
 
 
 
Trainer Stephen Page and Mrs Oppenheimer
with the rose filled Gold Cup
 
2009 Grade 2 J&B Reserve Stayers Kenilworth
 
 
In His New Career: 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
With his very proud out-of-racing owner, Carey-Anne Radford
 
 
Sire: Manaloj:
 
 
 
Dam Sire: Fort Wood:
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment